Tuesday, October 18, 2011

walking and walking some more...Prague 2

My body is still a little off but I managed to put a good dent into this historic city today. I have been racking my brains on how to upload pictures but the hostel doesn't seem to allow me I will figure it out soon enough.

Today I did 2 walking tours: 1) Historic Old Town 2) The Castle.

Old Town...free! Our tour guide - Jeff was AMAZING!!
  • Clock Tower
  • Briefly listened to New World Symphony at the Opera House
  • Powder Tower
  • Walked the outer wall of the Jewish Cemetery (visiting that tomorrow)
  • Wenceslas Square
  • National Museum
  • National Theater
It was a delightful 2.5hours. I met a lovely couple from Ogden, UT...of all places. They had just come from Budapest. Funny, they took a couple pics of me to show I actually am apart of my trip.

At the end of it he spoke about a Castle Tour that he was leading in 45mins. It was 20crowns (czech currency). I decided to grab a quick bit and join up for that one.

Castle...tour guide Jeff

  • Imperial Gardens - home of the Tulip, apparently it was the original place of growth and the bulbs were later transplanted up in the Netherlands. Little tidbit.
  • St. John Church (St. of Confession) 5 star halo, no two statues of him look alike
  • Schwarzenbersky Palace - the art of sgrafito (beautiful plastering)
  • West Entrance of the Palace - Titians Gate
  • St, Vitus Church - spectacular! Stain glass was breathtaking

On this 3.5hours of touring I met a cute mother/daughter from Boca Raton, FL - Audrey and Lauren. Lauren and I are the same age and she is a nurse. After the tour we had a warm cup of coco/coffee.

Tonight, I finished up at the National Theater and watched Mozart's "The Magic Flute" play. It is amazing what seat you can get when it is a party of one; middle center balcony. The play was in English sub-titles. Then I got a little lost walking home...ugh, but managed to take enough round about turns.

Hostel situation...bunking w/ 5 other people. Tonight should be interesting. Last night two of them came in around 1:45AM and let's just say it wasn't quite. This AM I found out they are a bro/sis from Alberta, CAN. The other two...new as of today. We shall see.

Now...it is time for bed. Sorry...no pics - trying :)










No comments:

Post a Comment