Yes, yesterday Austria celebrated a national holiday...something about indpendence and military forces. ALL retail stores, markets, gas stations, businesses, and government were closesd. HOWEVER...all museums were open and some were even free or reduced rate :)
My game plan was agressive...
Leopold Museum - modern art
Outdoor Festival - Neuebrug (tons of miltary booths and machinary on display)
Parlament
Rathaus
Hofburg Gardens
St. Stephens Cathedral
Opera House
I was successful and visually overwhelmed.
At the festival I tasted several local foods...
Drink - Orange Dunsch...highly possible it was carbonaded nyquil with some very strong after taste...saw tons of people gulping it down...I lasted 4 solid swigs
Kartoffel - looks like a small potato...take a bit and it is a softball of marzipan - WOW...too much to intake
Potato Cake - delicious...with a large dash of salt
The Leopold Museum was very, very rewarding. It had stunning pieces of art. HOWEVER, must I remind you I am in Europe and the visualization of the human body is common. The lowest level had an exhibit of genitals mixed with graphic mutilation. I walked very quickly out of this area with ages young and old admired the exhibit. None the less, I enjoy my time there and would go again.
I came back to the hostel and took a slight break to get ready for the evening. I along with a cute 26 yr old girl that I am rooming with from Taiwan attended the ballet at the Opera House. They had gallery standing for ONLY 3 euros! We were at the very top of this beautiful hall. The ballet was La Sylphide...very romantic and delightful to see.
Back at the hostel I meet a couple more girls traveling from New Zealand, South Africa, and Paris. We chatted and swapped cold medicines (each of us got something from other cities).
It was a grand day in Vienna...national holiday and all.
No comments:
Post a Comment