With the holiday over life is back to full tourist mode. Today, rain and fog. I put on my raincoat and I hit the road early. To cover the most ground I purchased a hop on-off bus ticket. I wanted to cover a lot of the Buda side and come back to Pest for some sights off the trail.
On the way saw Heroes Square, some old churches and crossed Elizabeth Bridge over to Buda...the hillside of the city.
I got off at the base of the hill and roamed my way up the hill, entered the Castle city from the far northside. Looking over the Buda side is quite something...rolling hills. Arrived at the center of the Holy Trinity - Fishermanś look out. It is right next door to a super deco Hilton...UGLY, but they paid good money back in the 7ös. The Fishermans area is pretty cool to stand on and view the Pest and Daube River.
Found a post office and mailed more cards...huge check off the list. :)
Located the Hospital on the Hill...unique, pretty to see outside. I didnt feel the need to tour inside. Walked around the Palace exterior...closed on Mondays. Got on the bus and made our way to the Citadel/Gellard Hill...highest point in Budapest. STUNNING views! By far my favorite 36ö degree view! Bummer it was foggy but I have a great mental picture. The cannon will do just a small justice. Below the Citadel is Anniversary Park.
Took the bus back over to ´Pest´ side and visited the Market Hall again. After that walked my way to the Jewish part. Visited Zsido Museum and Synagogues plus cemetary. Then walked some more and found some great playgrounds...still in my blood :). They were charming and had a killer zip line.
Got back on the bus...ALMOST took out a small van...inches away. Cheers to the driver! Got off at Margaret Bridge on the Buda side and walked over to Pest. By now my clothes and shoes are drentched. Back at the hostel, drying off and getting ready for dinner.
Tomorrow heading to Vienna. Cheaper to buy round trip train ticket vs one way. See you in Austria!!!
I just caught up on your travels. I am so glad you are blogging and sharing. I love it. When I went to France this summer I thought wow I was dumb not to travel when I was young and vowed I would do it in a few years. Now that I see you doing it I am hoping I can one day have the courage to do what you are doing. Enjoy lady and be safe!!!
ReplyDelete