Friday, October 28, 2011

The Hills are ALIVE...Salzburg




It dawned on me this morning around 3am to try a mobile app. I was also to anxious so I couldn't stay asleep. I was like a teenage girl getting ready for her first driving lesson.

Today, I went on the Sound of Music tour, along with a trip to the Salzkammergut Lake District. But let's be honest I really wanted to just sing and giggle over the movie. We went to all the filming locations...the homes, the chapel, the romping areas, the monastery, and the gazebo!

I spent a good portion of the day with 2 couples and another single girl. They where all delightful. We bonded over some songs, a pit stop in the lake district for some incredible local deserts - strudels, a special Austrian chocolate cake with apricots, and some poppyseed with cream...truly a terrible experience. Our tour guide RosaMaria was a delightful woman. She told us all the myths and stories of the movie along with some great Salzburg history.

After the tour and did a tremendous amount of exploring around the old city. Just as a true fact bigger than the sound of music, Mozart was born here and lived here until age 25 before moving to Vienna. They have a large statue and concert hall that plays his music frequently.

Above is me at 3/4 the way up to Hohensalzburg Fortress. It was 8 euros just to walk around so I went on my own walking tour; great advice from my Rick Steve's book :).

I saw a number of churches an a cool cemetery (mom would be so proud)! The fountains are all boarded ip for the winter, with either protective glass or wood...big bummer!

I am discovering this town is quite after 7pm, either eat at a restaurant, pay lots of money for a classical concert or stay in, all the shopping closes around 6pm.

Tomorrow...is still TBD.

If this blog post works there will be some snazzy updates going forward!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Salzburg, Austria

No comments:

Post a Comment