I awoke to two drunken Euro-kids at 3am...awe hostel living'...no complaints, just roll over. Finally around 7am I got up and figure it was a good time to grab the communal shower. At 8'ish this massive group of French kids hit the communal kitchen down the hall from me...very lively, thankful I was dressed and just figure I would lay on my bed until they took off for the day. Did I mention is has raining outside and COLD. Thankful for my rain-jacket and cute hat (RuthE would tell me my face is made for hats)...totally rockin' the look.
Today, I was determine to roam and embrace being free to do at will what I choose. Quite a challenge for my structure self...here goes.
Walked into a random post-modern art gallery. In the center of the courtyard that there where 4 huge guns the size of VW beetles pointing into the center and suspended. Took a picture along with some interesting neon photos of people in gas masks. Roamed on hall and wasn't feeling the exhibit so I walked out. Awe the joy of being solo...no reason to explain my doings. I stopped at a cafe near the Charles Bridge. Toured the museum that gave the detail history about the bridge and also saw a life size nativity scene made out of straw...random but important - big sign in Czech.Then I sat for a while wrote out some postcards and drank a hot chocolate. Now, I don't really care that much for coco, but need something warm in my system. Chai Lattes are a Starbucks thing and I was trying to be local.
After a while I walked over the famous Charles Bridge. The rain is coming down hard but still trucking through. The bridge is long and stunning, there are 30 statues from beginning to the end. Along the way there are two that have good Saints and you rub them for a blessing. So I rubbed them like no fool ... hello I need a job and some good travel karma! On the other side is the castle district, and Lesser Town (Mala Strana). I walked a couple major hills ended up at the top over looking Perlin Hill. Passed the Strahov Monastery. Took a couple deep breathes, soaked in the rain and majestic sights of the the city scape. I took a route through the park. I ended up at a small restaurant for lunch. Not too hungry but didn't want a tourist trap.
Lunch...language barrier lesson #1...trying to ask about carrots in a soup - odds are high they are in it - but you don't want a huge meal. So to lessen the frustration go with the meal. Meal comes WITH soup...NICE. Of course carrots - so careful spoon soup into the bread basket and napkins, hope it soaks it up so you don't offend the server who ask, why I don't eat more. It was quite a moment of creative thinking. But I made sure it looked like I chowed down on the goulash and potato cakes - hello, I'm no fool.
Needing to walk off the heavy lunch the rain was almost over, tiny sprinkles. I found a post-office, mailed my cards - the first batch :)...more to come. Need to get out of the cold and long my historic walking I managed to find the first department store in Prague - hello, must visit. Well, I didn't need to much time before I found a "want" item. A stunning puffy coat with fur trim around the hood. The wait staff helped me put it on and I was in LOVE with it and I really, really, really liked the contemporary style. One problem - 6900crw...pulled out my conversion rate - mere 400US. Normally I would consider it for at-least 5 mins. But now being jobless I was like HELL NO! But extremely said, stupid fur was legit. This folks don't know the meaning of PETA and I thank them for it. Left quickly. Came back to the hostel for some drying off.
Managed to strike up a conversation with a new roommate - Hans (24 yr old - nonprofit) from San Fran, he went to UC Santa Cruz - yeah RuthE!!! He was so friendly we ended up doing dinner at a very cool Pub full of people. Place called U Vejvodu, we sat and enjoyed a great meal. Side note, water wasn't available so I drank coke - yuk! Cost more than the beer he drank...go figure.
Tomorrow is my last day in this beautiful city, doing some final must sees and roaming...in the evening I am off to Budapest, taking a sleeper train. Meeting up with a friend for the weekend.
My favorite and most crazy hostel-sharing experience with a large group drunk/high British guys was in Prague. Oh, the memories. :-) I'm glad you're having such a good time AND getting a lot of good stories!
ReplyDelete